Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gardening and Aquaponics

As many of you know, I have a love of nature and the garden. I have recently started putting out a newsletter called Getting Back to Nature. If you're interested in getting your garden on, you can check it out here: Getting Back to Nature


Through gathering this information, I've discovered this cool method of gardening. If you don't know what it is, basically you take a pool of fish and direct the water through different locations where plants are growing (not in dirt). This is a dirtless method. Pretty neat. I've never been able to work in my garden with gloves, so I am murder on my nails and hands...always grubby. This method also lends itself to NO weeds. Did you get that? NO weeds!

Travis Hughey wrote a wonderful document on how to start this process on a small scale using barrels. But you can really use anything. You are only limited by your imagination. Check out is step-by-step guide here: Barrel-ponics

Then I found this great video on The Naked Garden. It's a little lengthy but worth the watch.



I think I'm going to love this method of gardening. During the winter months, it is a perfect time to start thinking about my design and materials I might use. Travis Hughey has his in a greenhouse. I live in a colder climate now, so a greenhouse sounds good. The problem is my greenhouse is only 6x8.
 
So my thinking is, can I do it on even a smaller scale than Mr. Hughey's barrels? Plus my thing would be, how can I move the water without an electric pump effectively with little or no cost?
 
I hope you enjoy the document and video! What do you think? Is this type of gardening for you? 

No comments: