Thursday, March 31, 2016

Writing is fun!

My desire to write began with reading. My first love when it came to reading was science fiction. And while I could never successfully read a mystery without looking in the back first to see who did it, I always liked the idea of them. And then I always enjoyed romantic poetry. While the below is not romantic, it began because a college professor harped on clichés. Don't use them! he would rant. Constantly the students had to re-write their work. But not me. For some strange reason, he liked my work, but when the others had to re-write an assignment, he couldn't just let me sit there. So he would tell me to write whatever I wanted. This was what I came up with just for him:

The Ode Cliché

by Caron Rider

A far cry from all and sundry

that is the born loser.

By and large each and every day

he uses determination.

He uses brute force.

He is down and out.

On the spot with hat in hand,

man to man he learns the facts of life.

And rain or shine, the powers that be

attempt to wrest from him a square meal.

Sooner or later past his salad days,

almost at the eleventh hour,

life seems as the sour grapes.

With him it’s touch and go.

And by the time he can smell a rat

the sad awakening has begun;

the naïve has become worldly wise.

Therefore, step by step,

his is a dog’s life.

While attempting to gild the lily,

the true blue go up in arms

and set off a hue and cry.

But though he values their judgment,

all cannot be well and good.

So when they shout, “Hold the fort!”

He returns with, “Hold your own!”

Mark my words, to pay the piper

takes a lion’s share to make good.

Now or never the rank amateur

must pull the strings of life.

So in a nutshell or in a word,

we all must be to live and learn.

No comments: