Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pride and Prejudice


I just finished watching Pride & Prejudice again, for the umpteenth time!

The story is based on Jane Austen's novel about five sisters - Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty and Lydia Bennet - in Georgian England. Their lives are turned upside down when a wealthy young man (Mr. Bingley) and his best friend (Mr. Darcy) arrive in their neighborhood.

  • Starring: Keira Knightley, Matthew Macfadyen
  • Directed by: Joe Wright
  • Runtime: 2 hours 9 minutes
  • Release year: 2005

copied from Amazon.com



I don't know what it is about this version, but I love it. I think that Keira Knightley nailed the part with understated humor. Often it was only a look that I appreciated. I liked that they used many lines straight from the book. Naturally it's a movie and some things had to be cut and some rearranged, but the tone and ambiance of the film (the music had a lot to do with this I think) will draw you in.

Many of you might be surprised at my liking this movie. As you may be aware, my taste runs to action/adventure, thrillers, sci-fi/fantasy, and the occasional horror movie. So it's rare for me to watch a romance and especially rare for me to watch a slow romance. But let's face it, not much happened back in the early 1800s. There were no electronics,  no TV, no air conditioning, and ninjas didn't often attack people. Instead people busied themselves with everyday chores and the visits among friends and neighbors. Pretty much like today (except for the electronic stuff). And that's what I think sucks me into this version. It oozes authenticity. For instance, chickens in the front yard, open windows, laundry hanging on a line, and you get a sense that people really behaved as Austen portrayed them.

This adaptation gives you the sense of being there with them, it draws you in, and you feel for Lizzy and Darcy. Loved it!

No comments: