Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spring Planting Time

Well, actually I started some time ago to plant my flowers and veggies. Several posts ago I mentioned that I had built a greenhouse, so I thought I should plant during winter. I started some potatoes, onions, garlic, and lots of seeds for tomatos, pumpkins, marigolds, lavender and some sunflowers. I must say that the success rate was kind of hit and miss. The onions and potatoes are going gang busters. The tomatoes have finally sprouted up but half my strawberries didn't make it (but half did) and no pumpkins, lavender, or sunflowers ever came up.


Now this is the first time I've really tried to grow things (other than the debacle with the almond tree which you can read about at http://alwaysabooklover.blogspot.com/). So even though I've had some failures, I'm pretty stoked about my successes. I literally can't wait for the potatoes. My blue berries are fantastic and I actually squealed when I realized that my apple tree has little bitty apples on it. Then my latest purchase are two cherry trees, one of which is a weeping cherry that is fabulous and should produce some cherries this year (that is if the deer don't eat them).

So for those wannabe gardeners out there (like me), my advice is to just plant something...anything. If it doesn't make it, try something else. Eventually you will find the plant that will grow for you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Ms Caron Rider, I was wondering how can I avail your books here in the Philippines? I really want to read Silver Knight. Thank you!